The Christmas period is busy busy with lots of parties and social gatherings.
For most these are things to look forward but for some with anxiety they can become overwhelming. It’s far to easy to fall down that anxiety hole and lets be honest Christmas time with kids, do you really have time to climb out that hole.
What caused my Christmas anxiety
My routine is gone I’m overwhelmed and I start to feel slightly empty and my mind goes into over drive.
I didn’t notice my anxiety levels going up until I spoke to friends online and started to workout why I was feeling off centre.
My warning signs of anxiety creeping up:
Insomnia- Takes ours to sleep my mind racing about future events
Can’t get out of bed- see above can’t sleep too much sleep can’t win .
Mr grumpy returns – I was becoming grumpy because my mind won’t switch off I’m stressed, tired and beating myself up.
Sweating – Day or night I sweat a load more.
So my anxiety levels are due to my routine being out and not having clear goals.
Christmas time to me feels like a riot lots of parties, social gatherings, pressure of getting everything right for everyone.
But without a doubt I’m in a better place than previous years to deal with it.
why?, the fact I can write about it and realise what is happening and discuss how I’m feeling means I can tackle it.
So how do I tackle my anxiety over the the holidays?.
– Talk about it with the ones closest to me, having thoughts spinning in my head aren’t going to go away.
– Positive Vibes only it’s only me who can change I how feel. I think of all the positive aspects of my life Thea, Harriet my health , my career, owning a house and write them down.
– Going into social situations sounds really simple try to relax, do some stretches go for a walk. You don’t want to be tense, twitching and sweating which I have done all at the same time within 10 minutes your knackered.
– Fuck it off right you can’t fuck everything off but if it’s something you don’t have to do, will cause you a meltdown, overstretch you fuck it off. You can’t go through life making everybody else happy if your not.
– Its busy but self care is so important if you forget about it. Your mental health can go downhill fast. I won’t get to the gym much but will do jump in for a sauna and steam for some me time. It could be something simple like a walk,podcast,meditation whatever centres you. If you don’t make time at some point you may become overwhelmed.
But remember if you don’t talk about it or admit to how you are feeling you won’t be able to do any of the above.
And remember try to enjoy the holidays and if you need a chat about your anxiety but don’t want burden anyone you can DM me on Instagram therealworkingdad.